Ten things you need to know:
- Potential health effects and symptoms associated with mold exposure include: allergic reactions, asthma, and other respiratory complaints.
- There is no practical way to eliminate all mold and mold spores in the indoor environment; the way to control indoor mold growth is to control moisture.
- If mold is a problem in your home or school, you must clean up the mold (with a certified inspection and certified abatement company) to eliminate sources of moisture.
- Fix the source of the water problem or leak to prevent mold growth.
- Reduce indoor humidity (less than 60%) to decrease mold growth by: venting bathrooms, dryers, and other moisture-generating sources to the outside; using air conditioners andde-humidifiers; increasing ventilation; and using exhaust fans whenever cooking, dish-washing, and cleaning.
- Clean and dry any damp or wet building materials and furnishings within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth.
- Clean mold off hard surfaces with water and detergent, and dry completely. Absorbent materials such as ceiling tiles, that are moldy, may need to be replaced.
- Prevent condensation: Reduce the potential for condensation on cold surfaces (i.e., windows, piping, exterior walls, roof, or floors) by adding insulation.
- In areas where there is a perpetual moisture problem, do not install carpeting (i.e., by drinking fountains, by classroom sinks, or on concrete floors with leaks or frequent condensation).
- Molds can be found almost anywhere; they can grow on virtuallyany substance, providing moisture is present. There are molds that can grow on wood, paper, carpet, and foods.
Mold & Illness-
If there is a mold problem in your home, school, or work place, it can cause serious illness. Children, the elderly, and those with allergies and asthma are most at risk, but anyone can suffer from toxic mold syndrome (TMS). But did you know there are different types of mold illness?